“After Mahaprabhu had taken sannyasa from Keshava Bharati in Katwa, he became overwhelmed with love for Krishna and started to run toward Vrindavan. With the help of some cowherd boys, Nityananda Prabhu tricked him into coming to the banks of the Ganges. Nityananda wanted to show him to the people of Nabadwip and wanted to bring him to Shantipur. When Mahaprabhu saw the Ganges, he thought that it was the Yamuna and became ecstatic. Meanwhile, Advaita had heard that Nityananda had brought Mahaprabhu there and came by boat across the river with new clothes for him. Mahaprabhu was astonished to see Advaita, wondering how he could have known that he was in Vrindavan. Advaita answered by saying that Vrindavan was there wherever Mahaprabhu went and that the western flow of the Ganges was the Yamuna. When he heard these words, Mahaprabhu realized that he had been tricked to coming to the western bank of the Ganges across from the town of Shantipur. Advaita had him take a bath and dressed him in the new cloth and then took him to his house where he stayed for several days.”
Srila B.B. Tirtha Maharaja, from Sri Chaitanya: His Life & Associates.
There seem to be some common misunderstandings in those who oppose KBM, and a reader of the blog summed them up nicely:
- A group of devotees thinks that KBM is saying the following: Srila Gurudeva said one thing, but he meant (to say) another thing. The reality is, that the two groups differ in their understanding of what Srila Gurudeva has actually said.
In other words, it’s not about changing Gurudevas words or that he lied, but that his words are open for interpretation.I myself struggled very much with the preaching tactic argument, but I now understand that Gurudeva never lied. Gurudeva just spoke in a concealed manner.
- Selectiveness of what devotees decide to follow from Srila Gurudeva’s instructions and statements of other maha bhagavats like BV Rakshak Sridhar Maharaja etc. The KBM ban and public statement is a good reminder of this.
- Who is senior? What birth is considered more auspicious? Can we measure seniority? The take is that Madhusudana Maharaja is junior to many devotees.
- For many (including myself) this is the first time we experiencing politics of this kind.
- This is a transcendental topic and as such can not be black or white. Transcendental topics are not that one sweet in a package full of sweet, they are the whole package full of sweets.
- A belief that if one holds the wrong conceptions, ALL one’s devotional service is lost and/or if one oppose siddhanta ones spiritual progress will be checked.
- If you don’t surrender to KBM, you cannot touch Gurudeva’s heart. This is something I haven’t read from KBMs communication.
- A sincere student should not neglect the discussion of such conclusions, considering them controversial, for such discussions strengthen the mind. Thus one’s mind becomes attached to Śrī Kṛṣṇa.
- Śrī Caitanya Caritāmṛta Ādi 2.117
What is your take on this?